“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending the best. They’re not sending you, they’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bring crime. They’re rapists… And some, I assume, are good people.” – Donald Trump
Donald Trump is setting the political world on fire. Since entering the presidential race last year Trump has defied all political norms and is now the favorite to win the Republican nomination for president. Trump’s rise has caught the Republican establishment by surprise and has them struggling to explain Trump’s rise. The only ones responsible for Trump’s accession are Republicans who have endorsed obstruction and hate over the last eight years – Trump represents Republicans chickens coming home to roost.
Before President Obama was sworn-in for his first term in office Republicans gathered and decided they would not work with this president no matter what. That blatant disrespect for the country’s first African-American president would only get worse as time went on. Here are just a few examples of the disrespect Republicans have shown against this president:
- Birtherism –Republicans did nothing to quell rumors along their ranks that President Obama was born in Africa
- Congressmen Joe Wilson yells “You lie” at the president during a joint session of congress
- Republicans refuse to meet with any nominee President Obama nominates to the Supreme Court
- Obama’s Religion – Like “Birtherism” Republicans including many of their leaders refused to say that President Obama is a Christian
- Reversing 40 years of precedent, Republicans refuse to allow the White House Budget Director present the President’s budget to Congress
- In January 2012, Arizona Governor Jane Brewer puts her finger in the president’s face while lecturing him on a runway and even said she felt “threatened” by the president
Those are just a few of the cases of the blatant disrespect directed toward this president by Republicans. In many ways, the policies they have presented to the country have been worse. Since taking control of the House of Representatives and multiple state governments in 2010 Republicans have sought to restrict voting access for minorities with Jim Crow era voting laws, deny healthcare coverage to millions of Americans, restrict women health options and block comprehensive immigration reform. The rise of the Tea Party in 2010 with its divisive racial overtones were allowed to go unabated by Republican leaders many of whom who adopted their rhetoric. Not to mention, during the 2012 presidential contest Republicans had no problem labeling President Obama the “food stamp president”.
So why should it surprise anyone that a divisive blowhard like Donald Trump has taken advantage of the corrosive governing environment Republicans created and is now leading the Republican field for president. Donald Trump is the Republican frontrunner because he best represents the divisive nature Republicans have promoted over the last eight years. Trump is the nominee Republicans deserve.